Hey, Suckers! BBC agrees with your punk rock HR diva (in a sense) and advocates an employer-funded holiday on Leap Day.
…employers may be getting an extra unpaid day out of us. “But then in a sense,” he adds, “they own us already. We give half our waking hours to them, voluntarily, and our time is our lives – we’re literally giving ourselves away.” A thought which makes you want to hold on to any disputed days tighter than ever.
- Food poisoning — the pizza you ate, yesterday, was bad. Very bad.
- Coming down with a cold — speak in a raspy voice and keep the phone away from your mouth.
- Migraine headache — appeared out of nowhere and you need to go back to bed.
- Toothache — an emergency visit to the dentist has been scheduled. You don’t know if/when you’ll make it to work.
- Pulled a muscle in your back — on painkillers & the doctor has ordered you to lay in bed.
- Child is sick — kid has the sniffles and isn’t allowed in daycare.
- Dog ate your socks — or whatever, and you need to get to the vet ASAP.
- Water heater is broken — you’re waiting for the repair guy and you can’t take a shower.
- You have the flu from your flu shot — it’s a little late for this excuse, but you had a late flu shot on the recommendation of your doctor and now you feel sick.
- Your car overheated/won’t start/leaked oil — and you’re on your way to the repair shop.
(Thanks to UK Neil for the link!)