Throughout my career, I’ve been surrounded by men and women who pull a dick move with colleagues, associates, and leaders.
What’s a dick move? From Urban Dictionary.
An action by one male to another male friend which violates understood social expectations, especially where the transgressor obtains a slight advantage in comparison with a relatively large inconvenience imposed upon the aggrieved party.
I would quibble with the word male because women can perform a dick move. In fact, I’ve done it myself.
So let’s make a list of dick moves in the office.
- Taking credit for a project, task, or job when you don’t deserve that credit.
- Not standing up for a coworker in a meeting because you are afraid of the political ramifications.
- Undermining your boss for no reason other than the fact that he/she has more power than you.
- Drinking the last of the water and not replacing the five-gallon jug because you don’t feel like lifting it up.
- Parking in a handicapped spot even though you had foot surgery like six months ago and you’re totally fine.
- Listening to music at your cube knowing full well that it’s too loud but you don’t care because you’re in a NIN mood.
- Scheduling meetings early in the morning just because you know your boss hates to come in before 8:30 AM.
- Playing buzzword bingo out in the open and not even trying to stifle your laughter when someone says at the end of the day.
- Anonymously tweeting about your job and slamming your company even though it’s not really all that bad.
- Excessively hitting on a colleague, peer, or associate even when that person has turned you down and asked you to stop.
What am I missing? What dick moves have you pulled?