You want to help out in Haiti but you don’t have any money? I hear you.
Off the top of my head, here are some ideas.
- Get to know the history of Haiti so you can speak intelligently about the country. It’s not an island. It’s a country that shares a border with the Dominican Republic, and it sits on the island of Hispanola.
- Haiti is a mess, but it has a proud history and gained independence after a slave rebellion. Honestly, the earthquake just adds to the present-day misery of this island. When you know something about the history, and you share your knowledge, you can encourage people (with money) to donate.
- Give blood. It won’t go to Haiti, but it will go to someone in need.
- If you have a friend or neighbor with ties to Haiti, go spend time with that person. They’ll need your support over the next few weeks & months & maybe forever.
- Volunteer at an animal rescue. Haiti has many problems, including animal overpopulation. Many poor and impoverished countries can’t afford spay and neuter programs. Help locally and be part of a bigger movement to change the way animals are treated on a global scale.
Any other ideas? For those with a little cash, here’s a list of NGOs who are on the ground and can help.