The Evil HR Lady wants to know why I chose Human Resources as a career.
Why didn’t I choose HR?
- I like it when people come to work with a bad attitude.
- Human Resources attracts top administrative talent, and I type 80 wpm. I’m a natural!
- I can alphabetize and maintain personnel files with the best of ’em.
- My father encouraged me to marry well, and HR seemed like an easy way to find a husband.
- I enjoy it when employees whine about their supervisors.
- There’s nothing like a daily crisis at work to get the blood pumping.
- It’s exciting when I am asked for my opinion and then it’s disregarded.
- Human Resources is compatible with the other passion in my life: charity work.
- My first career choice, lottery winner, wasn’t available.
- I like working in an environment where the expectations are low.
- I can appreciate the lightheartedness of budget cuts and staff reductions.
- I’m bad at math*.
Honestly, I fell into the wonderful world of Human Resources via recruiting. As a recruiter, I successfully deconstructed the narrative of a resume; as a Human Resources generalist, I have the ability to listen, demonstrate empathy, and use my smile to get shit done.
As you can see, I’m tremendously proud of my accomplishments.
*Stolen from Catbert.