Let me say a few things about Penn State and Happy Valley in no particular order. Rage does that to a woman.
- The cult of college football drives seemingly intelligent people to do odd things. Like the Catholic church, normal people will go to extraordinary lengths to justify horrific behavior.
- College football coaches are educators. Universities and alumni associations conveniently forget that.
- College football players are students. They don’t have jobs — except to learn.
- When something illegal (allegedly) happens, you call the police. You don’t say, “We didn’t have jurisdiction to investigate.”
- When you inject money into sports — even at the college level — the system becomes corrupt.
- Joe Paterno preaches leadership on the football field. He demonstrated cowardice in his job.
- Penn State’s football program ought to face serious sanctions. And by sanctions, I don’t just mean financial. The university and its athletic program need to be revamped, reworked, and restructured.
- The NCAA, by creating a cult-like environment beholden to marketing & financial & advertising goals, is also responsible for what happened to those children.