Just off the top of my head, here are things you need to know about Human Resources in order get ahead in 2009.
- Start believing the grapevine because it often reflects the writing on the wall.
- Gossip — because your career depends on it.
- Stop telling us about your grandchildren. We fire old people [and boring people] at a disproportionate rate.
- Do not confuse an office friendship with a Facebook friendship with a real friendship.
- Your suspicions are confirmed: we are reading your email, we are thinking about outsourcing your job, and the secretary is timing your lunch break.
Want to get ahead in 2009? Change your behaviors accordingly.