I spent 4Q12 and the past few weeks of 1Q13 doing something sorta fun: getting out to see HR executives for no other reason that to establish relationships or hear briefings.
I have so much to learn.
- I heard that the Ulrich model is alive.
- Shockingly, I heard that it’s also dead.
- I learned that HR is really only an outcome.
- Human Capital Management is the true science and art of managing people.
Jesus. Okay, I lied. It is not fun. It’s so boring. Thank god I can see friends while I travel.
To spice things up, I have a new question that I just started asking HR leaders.
“When a stray dog enters the office building, who gets it out?”
[I won’t identify the actual HR leader who wrote this, but he can identify himself if he wants credit for this gem.]
If a dog walks into your building, what happens? Who takes responsibility for the dog? Who gets the dog out?
I’ll tell you something:
- The answers from the CHROs have been very enlightening.
More on THAT in the comments section. I want to know what you think.