Today’s post was originally published in December 2010.
Do you wonder, “Why doesn’t my boss like me?”
The answers are so painfully obvious. And some are pulled from the stupid examples of my own career. Sigh.
- You overstate your importance to the team. Really, you could disappear and the company would go on.
- You aren’t as smart as you think you are. Don’t write checks your performance can’t cash, yo.
- You have a chip on your shoulder. Yup, you should have been the one to get promoted. Why don’t other people see that?
- You are mean. Your boss won’t trust you if you don’t have a nice thing to say about anyone else.
- You are paranoid about the wrong things. Your supervisor has a vested interest in your success. He needs you to make him look good. Quit wasting time. Be strategic. It’s those other departments you should worry about. They want your headcount but they don’t want you.
- You can’t keep a secret. When your boss tells you that something is confidential, don’t take that as a suggestion.
- You are doin’ it wrong. Your job. Your attitude. Your general personality. What a mess. You’re not paid to come to work and get it wrong. You better fix it. Fast.
- You are racist/sexist. This doesn’t apply to everyone, but if you are racist or misogynistic, it shows. You’re not fooling anyone.
- You are ungrateful. Those small gestures your boss makes to show that he likes you are wasted on you.
- You are uncoachable. Oh that’s right, I forgot you knew everything.
Now listen, it doesn’t really matter if you boss likes you. Does she respect you? That’s the real question.