Joe Gerstandt told me (and you) the things he believes.
I was inspired and wrote my list. Much of it is co-opted from things I have read and witnessed. And my list reveals some truths about me that are cringeworthy, contradictory and weird. But it’s an honest list . . . . even if I’m not an honest woman.
- Life is hard work. Nobody escapes without experiencing sadness and pain. Then you die.
- Imprint memories of happiness and joy. Hold on to them for dear life.
- Yes, they are lying to you. The are out to get you. They want you to fail. Forgive them, anyway.
- Empathy softens the blow of life.
- Your religion doesn’t matter. Your actions matter.
- Even in your own story, you are not the main character.
- Addiction is an insidious beast. Fight like hell even when the battle feels lost.
- At some point, you will hurt the ones you love.
- Failure to try will haunt you.
- There are some accomplishments that will never be recognized. They still matter.
- A job is just a job despite what people tell you.
- Leadership is what happens when most of us aren’t looking.
- A majority opinion is just a collective compromise.
- The biggest threat to freedom is consolidated and privatized power.
- Consumerism oppresses creativity and kills the heart and soul of humankind.
- You are just like everyone else at the moment when you feel unique and special.
- Birthdays matter. It is the beginning of everything great and possible.
- There should be tenderness underneath truth.
- The greatest legacy is soft and unspoken.
- Without love, none of this matters.
What you are waiting for? Write your list.