Thoughts on volunteerism from Laurie (& some friends) — after too much wine and lasagna.
- Most people who volunteer have issues with people. Psychological problems. Anxieties. Phobias. Know this before you give your time & energies to your favorite cause.
- The biggest secret in most volunteer organizations? Sane people just write checks.
- The problems most charities attempt to address are long-standing and very complex. You can’t show up on a Saturday afternoon and expect to change the world.
- No amount of volunteering will improve your marriage.
- If you don’t like people, you aren’t meant to lead a volunteer team.
- When you start accusing people of having an agenda, it’s time to resign from your local charity.
- Conspiracies are best left to governments and corporations.
- If you’re looking for something to do, please don’t volunteer and expect immediate fulfillment. Rent a movie, instead.
Finally, here’s something many of us agree upon:
- Nothing worth doing is worth doing for free.