I believe that good HR professionals are
- critical thinkers,
- lovers of pop culture & media, and
- savvy business entrepreneurs.
Business is everywhere, and the best HR professionals read everything — from Entertainment Weekly to ESPN. I try to practice what I preach and consume news & information from a variety of sources — including financial news websites and magazines about home decorating — but I won’t read the WSJ Online.
This isn’t a political or social statement.
- I’m willing to overlook the ownership issues at WSJ.
- I’m willing to overlook its editorial board.
- I’m truly willing to overlook its political biasies.
Unfortunately, I’m not willing to overlook the fact that they charge you to read much of their online content — and they still subject you to ads & links & banners after you fork out your hard-earned cash.
- Those chumpsky sites? Free.
- Rupert Murdoch’s chumpsky site? $89/year.
Thanks but no thanks. I’ll take that $89 and spend it on donuts and coffee before I pay you to advertise crappy news articles to me.