I don’t think you need to buy your boss a gift.
Your hard work and goodwill are gift enough for your tired, exhausted manager. Your competency is a joy and a blessing. No additional stocking stuffers are required.
But if you want to buy your manager something, here are some ideas.
- La Mer’s The Eye Concentrate. This eye cream is caviar for anyone — man or woman — over 35.
- A good scarf. No matter the gender or geography, Burberry always works.
- Might I suggest an SOS Charger Hand-Crank Emergency Cell Phone Charger with 3 LED Flashlight? A Mophie would work, too.
- A gift certificate to a small, nice restaurant in town — especially somewhere with a great reputation and a good atmosphere but quiet enough for two adults to have a conversation. Gen Xers cannot hear for shit, anymore.
- A donation to a local charity – but only if the charity is highly rated on Charity Navigator and the acknowledgement is personalized and doesn’t come in the form of another appeal for more money.
- GenX dudes like a quality shave and a haircut. A gift certificate to a barbershop is a nice idea.
- If your boss drives a minivan or has kids, you can do wonders with an auto detailing gift card.
- I like cheese and champagne. (I am not your boss, but I accept bulk deliveries.) Buying dairy and alcohol can be tough, though, because most cheese is processed and most champagne is crappy. Buy good stuff or forget about it.
A note to young professionals out there: a personalized thank you note to your boss for her hard work is always a good idea, too.